The Core Induction Programme for the Early Careers Framework covers the five core areas of the ECF. We have taken these five core areas and created the links to each of the alternative four Providers so that you can compare the materials from each. Schools can use any of the four programmes or mix and match from the materials available. This section focuses on Behaviour management.
This is composed of 12 modules and has been designed to last a term. They suggest that it is best completed during the first term as an NQT – typically the autumn term.
Creating a predictable and secure classroom environment, managing pupil behaviour and holding high expectations all contribute to more successful learning. The strand looks at how to create an effective learning environment. It considers how to promote the behaviours that make learning effective.
- How to establish an effective learning environment.
- How to effectively manage behaviour.
- The importance of holding and promoting high expectations for all pupils.
Laying the Foundations Of an Effective Learning Environment
Maintaining an Effective Learning Environment Over Time
Advanced Level Practice and More Complex Ideas
Education Development Trust
- Demonstrate consistently high behavioural expectations
- Develop a positive, predictable and safe environment for pupils
- Establish effective routines and expectations
- Build trusting relationships
Maintaining Behavioural Expectations
While all teachers would agree about the importance of a calm and purposeful teaching environment, there are often challenges and barriers to achieving this consistently with pupils. This module will explore what effective learning environments look like and strategies that you can use to achieve them.
- Establishing effective routines (51 minutes)
- Creating a positive and respectful classroom environment (30 minutes)
Low-level Behaviour and Persistent Challenging Behaviour
- Addressing low-level behaviour (40 minutes)
- Addressing persistent and challenging behaviour (50 minutes)
Holding and Maintaining High Expectations
- Holding high expectations and maintaining engagement (50 minutes)
- Developing pupils’ intrinsic motivation (40 minutes)
- Understanding teachers as role models
- Establishing the learning environment
- Understanding pupils as learners
- Managing behaviour